Thursday, December 6, 2007

Upstream, Melissa Lion

In the book that I have read, the main character is a young lady who is about eighteen years old, her name is Martha. Marty as she is called, is a high school senior that feels she has been out casted by all her peers because of an event that took place over the summer. Her boyfriend died and she was the only person who was with him and knows what truly happened. The death has isolated her from opening up to others, in a way she feels vulnerable. She now keeps more to herself and lost contact with many close friends. The only thing shared between her and her old friend are only questionable "Hi's and bye's".


Helping Marty cope with the death and pain is her family. Her family consist of her mother and two sister's. All who love her every much and only want to see Marty get through this tragedy. But for Marty letting go came be the hardest thing she will ever face.


I feel that this character seems very real and believable because I can relate to Martha and the things she has been through. First of all I am the same age as her, a senior in high school and can understand the pressure of trying to fit in after an event like that occurs. I to have lost a loved one during my second year of high school. It was devastating and I did not want to even to talk to some of my best friends let alone peers and teacher about what happened. I just wanted to try to get over it, not have to relive the moment every time someone asked what happened.

Also like the main character, Martha, I too had a lot of support from my family to get over the tragedy. My mom, dad, brothers and sisters all cried with me until we had no tears left to cry. My family helped me when I needed it most and are still very careful of what others and they say to I won't get upset. Their love for me and my feelings made them defensive, in the most helpful way.

Marty too cried on her mothers shoulder for weeks, until she had no more tears to cry but the pain never left. Her mother took off from work just to hold her daughter and wait until she was ready, when ever that may have been. Martha's mom did not want to pressure her in any way , that would just stop her from letting go the death. Her sister was also defensive when anyone questioned Marty about what happened and would answer for her with witty remark. All because they loved her.

So in many ways I feel me and Marty are every similar because of our experiences and the times in our lives that these events have occurred.



1 comment:

Joel said...

Kaysha, I'm glad you've found a character you can relate to. Both her mom and your parents sound like great foundation of support. Good response.