Tuesday, February 26, 2008

"So B. It", By Sarah Weeks (pages 37-70)

Do you empathize with the characters? Are their voices genuine, are they believable?

As I read more into my novel I find myself empathizing more with the main character Heidi, who is telling the story. She has no knowlegde of her past, only what she can remember as she has gotten older. Heidi does not know her birthday, who is her father or her mothers real name. All of these unanswer questions haunt Heidi's everyday life and she finds herself needing to know the truth as the years past. Her mother is the only person how may know the these simple yet life changing answer's but due to her mental disability, Heidi's mother does not even know her real name. In her mind her name is "so be it". The search for the possible truth has become Heidi's obsession and I don't blame her. If I were in Heidi's place I think the anxiety of all the "what-if's" would have destroyed me. Everyone has a history, and with a simple story we fill in the blanks as to what we didn't know about ourself and all our chapters are complete from begining to present time. Like knowing about all the times we kicked in our mothers womb or the way our fathers had to run and get our mothers ice cream and dill pickles to sooth their morning sickness. But worst of all not knowing your last name, your idenity, Heidi is in a rough time in her life when all she wants to know is the simple details that will satisfy her hunger for the past. Her past has become her quest, I feel her voice is genuine and true.

**What would bother you more knowing who your father was but he did not want to be a part of your life or not knowing your father at all?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am reading this book with my class right now and we wanted to know the history behind this book. Why did Sarah Weeks write So B. It?