Sunday, April 20, 2008

what are the warning signs of a possible abusive parent?

as i start to lookk for some answers to my first foundation question, my first place to go is to`is to Ask.com. i put in my question and i had to narrow it down a lot to get get some sites that looked as if it could help me to answer my question. i couldnt find anyhting that matched my exact question bout i went to Lifetips.com and i saw a list called "Signs Of A Parent Who Is Abusive". this was the closest i could find to my qestion. this is whats in the list: Here are some possible signs of a parent/guardian who is being abusive toward their child/children.

The parent/guardian can be:

- Seems to trust no one
- Reluctant to explain child´s injuries or condition
- When they do offer an explanation, it will be inappropriately to the seriousness of the child´s condition
- Overreacts (hostile when questioned)
- Under-reacts (no concern or awareness of the child´s needs)
- Overly critical of the child
- Seldom touches or looks at the child
- Expects or demands behavior beyond the child´s years or abilities
- Ignores the child´s crying.

Im guessing that i could use some of these examples for my research because im pretty sure that some are done before the abuse starts. for example ignoring a child while it is crying could maybe make a parent so mad that maybe the paarent hits the child.
the next site i visit is http://www.aafp.org/afp/990315ap/1577.html. there i learned more statistics of abuse. for example i learned that child abuse is 15 timeslikely to happen in a household where spousal abuse takes place and is 3 times more likely to be abuse my their father. i learned that each year there are 1,000 to 2,000 children die fron abuse. 80% are under 5 and 40% are under the age of 1. Homicide is the 4th leading cause of death in children between the ages of 1-4 and the 3rd from 5-15. reading these stats had me alarmed because i didnt know child abuse happened so frequently

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After reading this post I am distrubed beyond beliefe. As a mother of a three year old, it makes me sick to know that 80% of death from abuse are children under five. why would a parent hurt something so preicious and their's?